Re: some servers (M$ ^H) have problems with proxy

From: Balint Nagy Endre <bne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 20:16:30 +0100 (MET)

Hi, Christoph told about his first squid:

> One purpose of installing the squid cache/proxy server was to
> allow a colleague sitting at e WinNT4.0 box in my local 192.168.1
> network allow to do some registration at M$.
>
> Everything went fine up to a certain point when MSIE3.01 failed to
> get a certain URL:443 (was the error).
>
> We called up M$ in Ireland and they told us - they seemed to know about
> their problems with proxies (BTW, netscape could retrieve the URL
> over squid either) - to use a different port.
Hmm, one of our clients experienced troubles doing SSL over squid
(with MSIE3.0c? WIN) while others accessed the same site (trough the
same set of squids) using Netscape 3.01. I had'nt seen the MSIE configuration
(maybe there is something not straighforward in the proxy setup?),
but the problem seems browser specific, not server dependent.
Or this is an other problem?
> Now I'm stuck. What port do they mean? I have
>
> 192.168.1.1 3128
Maybe they mean lower port number to use!?

Andrew (Endre "Balint" Nagy) <bne@CareNet.hu>