Re: Help w/ Transparent Caching

From: Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:13:22 +0000

I am pretty sure you cannot do what you want with the firewall and cache
split on different machines.

The ipfwadm stuff will redirect remote connections to a local port - which
would be running Squid. Squid would then use the getsockname() call to
find out where you are trying to connect to, and get the pages from that
end...

If you split the functions over 2 machines then you lose the information
about the endpoints. I suppose you could write a smallish program which
takes the redirected port 80 stuff, and passes it to the remote Squid with
the
        GET /url
rewritten to
        GET /target.ip.addr/url

        Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@theplanet.net   - Unix Applications Engineer ]
[ *Views expressed here are personal and not supported by PLAnet* ]