Help w/ Transparent Caching

From: Tim Carlier <Tim.Carlier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:44:52 +0800

Hi All,

In the Squid FAQ, it talks about Transparent Caching so we don't have to
alter user's browser settings (good for our users). I'm new to the
ipfwadm rules, but it doesn't seem exactly clear how to redirect queries
to the proxy cache - e.g. a simple situation consisting of 3 machines in
a mini network:

- Firewall/Mail machine w/ IP forwarding + ipfw'ing rules
- Proxy Cache machine running only Squid
- Terminal Server with xx modems

Say there are these 3 machines, and I want to redirect all your usual
squid traffic - http/ftp etc via the cache instead. Where in the ipfw
rules does the proxy machine get a mention - or how does data from ports
80 etc on the firewall get redirected to the cache? I get the
accept/reject rules, but don't see how the actual redirection takes
place. Either I'm stupid or it needs a little extra clarification. Can
you assist with some extra rules to help me setup transparency for
http/ftp etc please?

If worse comes to worse, I'll just block port 80 altogether on the
firewall and force users to set a proxy, but god help the support calls!
Any better suggestions?

--
Tim Carlier                            Tim.Carlier@OZsupermalls.com.au
Internet Supervisor                             Phone : +61 9 322 6230