Re: Help w/ Transparent Caching

From: Support <support@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 13:36:17 +1100

Thank you John and Matt. I got the nntpcache and shall implement it
shortly.

Forcing users to use the Squid is not a solution. Especially when someone
has multiple accounts with different ISPes. Setting up different proxy
with different ISPes is troublesome. On the other hand, having a
transparent caching proxy should be the correct direction towards an user
friendly set up.

When your work on the server program is finished, it shall be great news
for us ISPes whose cost is tied to the data volume.

Regards

Clement
email address: support@ans.com.au
Web page: http://www.ans.com.au
post address: 14 Fisher Road, Dee Why, NSW 2099, Australia
fax number: +61 2 9972 2633

----------
> From: John Saunders <john@nlc.net.au>
> To: squid-users@nlanr.net
> Subject: Re: Help w/ Transparent Caching
> Date: Thursday, 13 February 1997 18:39
>
> Support (support@ans.com.au) wrote:
> > As an ISP and a cost tied up with the data volume, connecting everyone
to a
> > Squid can save us a lot potentially. However, some people just insist
on
> > not using the proxy while others simply do not know how to set up the
> > proxy. A way to redirect all their HTTP and FTP requests automatically
> > the Squid shall be beautiful.
>
> We found that blocking port 80 through the router was effective in
getting
> users to configure the proxy :-) Although we sent many emails and fielded
> support questions before implementing the block. Only a few resistive
> types complained "I don't like cached data", "Well what about the 5Meg
> cache that Netscape keeps for you?" ... "Arr, well yes, arr."
>
> Linux provides the transparent proxying, but it only provides about 30%
> of the needed solution. It has a means of redirecting a packet, that was
> intended to be forwarded, to a port on the local machine. The additional
> 70% is made up of a server that binds to the port and forwards HTTP
> requests to the Squid cache. I have about 80% of such a server written
> and it sort of does something, although when I finish it off I will
> know for sure how feasable this is.
>
> > In the same direction, does anyone know of any program that can cache
NNTP
> > traffic. So instead of doing a full news feed everyday, we can feed
only
> > what the users want and still present the full news group from out
upstream
> > service provider.
>
> nntpcache does this. ftp://archie.au/unix/news/nntpcache should get you
> there. It was written by Julian Assange from Suburbia.
>
> Cheers.
> --
> . | John Saunders - mailto:john@nlc.net.au
(EMail) |