Re: Quick Question

From: Andreas Reeh <A.Reeh@dont-contact.us>
Date: 21 Feb 1997 22:37:00 +0200

Hi *Squiders*,

you wrote on 20 Feb 97 at 22:48 in newsgroup /mailinglisten/squid-digest
in "squid-users-digest Digest V97 #43":

> I'd suggest to use 1 physical disk (or stripe or raid) per cache dir.
> Calculate expected max number of objects in your cache, using average
> object size of about 15-20 KB, ie. TOTALSIZE/average="total objects".
> Then divide this by 256 which is optimal number of files per level 2
> dirs and you'll get total number of needed directories in both level
> 1 & 2. Numbers for each of these should be power of 2 (4, 8, 16, etc)
> Then, I'd suggest to select the lowest needed number for level 1, keeping
> level 2 smaller than 256 (make it 128). Then divide no of level 1 dirs
> by number of disks you have and you'll finally get needed numbers to
> put into config. If you have different sized disks, use smallest sized
> disk to calculate max size.
> All this is also noted in Release notes.
>
> All this is good for is to help OS make directory accesses faster,
> reducing no of directories helps to reduce needed cache size OS allocates
> for reducing physical disk io to find file in a directory.

Thanks a lot Andres, I think I understand it now !

But what I still like to know is:

What store_objects_per_bucket ?
(the comment in the config doesn't help me to understand - what is the
 "store hash table" and what will happen when I change this value?)

If I make a new "mke2fs", what inode size do you recommend ?

  Andreas

--
Andreas Reeh = A.Reeh@WaD.org * 51545 Waldbroel * Germany * PGP welcome
More info, public key, geek-code and other email and talk addresses at