Re: virus scanning by squid?

From: Wolfgang Mader (woifi) <woifi@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:25:24 +0000

> I'd rather that people take their own defined and considered
> precautions, then use AntiVirus tools that hook into your operating
> system's read/write and filesave/read routines. There's plenty out
> there to be purchased as needed.
Right so far, but there are also plenty of Proxy-servers to purchase.

> Squid should concentrate upon retrieval and caching. Parsing files
> as well introduces a whole new level of complexity and extra workload
> and would "hide" the action and could lead to a false sense of security.
> (There's also been cases of files not really containing viruses, but
> being detected as such by scanners).
It never can be a guarantee. But to check for some known viruses, is
better than no check.
And I rather would like to loose a file than to get one to much.

yours,mw.

Wolfgang Mader / / \ \ mader@telecom.at
S P A R D A T A G |--< * >--| domain-admin@telecom.at
Geiselbergstr. 21-25 \ \_/ / - - - - - - - - - - - -
A-1110 Wien, Austria, http://home.telecom.at:81/~mader
Europe Fax:+43 1 74045 5704