Re: virus scanning by squid?

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 15:12:02 +0000

On Mon 10 Mar, 1997, "Wolfgang Mader (woifi)" <woifi@telecom.at> wrote:
>Congratulations to all those, that see no benefits in virus-scanner
>supported by squid.
>You must belong to seldom race, of people not seeing that binaries
>and Word-Macros can be transferred via WWW and FTP.

(all this is heavily *my opinion*)

Inside Squid is totally the wrong place to be doing such scanning, IMHO.
I'd rather that people take their own defined and considered
precautions, then use AntiVirus tools that hook into your operating
system's read/write and filesave/read routines. There's plenty out
there to be purchased as needed.

Squid should concentrate upon retrieval and caching. Parsing files
as well introduces a whole new level of complexity and extra workload
and would "hide" the action and could lead to a false sense of security.
(There's also been cases of files not really containing viruses, but
being detected as such by scanners).

-- jrg.