Re: virus scanning by squid?

From: Steve Gaarder <gaarder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 15:20:59 -0500 (EST)

Nigel Metheringham writes:

> Whilst generally agreeing with this, there probably is something to be
> said for a content parsing extension of some sort. However this costs you
> 2 more file descriptors per active request, which is painful!
>
> A content parser would be able to do virus checking if required, could
> remove or validate java/active-x/microsoft-bug-protocol extensions as
> required etc...
>
> One way of handling this is to stack another proxy in front of or behind
> squid. Either of these approaches has problems, which is why it would be
> nice to be able to do content scanning of some form in squid.

I agree. Right now I have http-gw in front of Squid, filtering out
ActiveX and Java. It's messy, and cuts into my performance. I'd much
rather do it in Squid. How about providing some simple hooks so
people who wanted to could add content filtering? I took a look in
there once, and it was not clear where filtering code could be added.

Steven Gaarder Network and Systems Administrator
gaarder@cmold.com C-MOLD, Ithaca, N.Y., USA