Re: virus scanning by squid?

From: Peter Marelas <maral@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 20:30:51 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Bernard Klatt wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, James R Grinter wrote:
>
> > Squid should concentrate upon retrieval and caching. Parsing files
> > as well introduces a whole new level of complexity and extra workload
> > and would "hide" the action and could lead to a false sense of security.
>
> Entirely correct (IMO) and a distraction from what I see as the
> primary reason for using squid. I'd very much like to see a
> compile option (-no_ACL) that would build a smaller, faster, more
> robust squid that contained NO ACL logic. I just need a small,
> fast, reliable proxy caching server. We don't have any need or
> wish to restrict access to any part of the Internet for our users
> or attempt to do virus scanning for them.

I agree with you, squid needs to become modular. Alot like the modular
capabilities of apache. This will allow other developers to write plug-ins
without having to know the ins and outs of the src tree.

i.e. If you dont want the feature, dont compile it in.

Regards
Peter Marelas

--
The Fulcrum Consulting Group               Peter Marelas - Consultant
12/10-16 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000,Australia   Ph: +61-3-9621-2100