Re: Multiple disks (different sizes) and Squid cache

From: Guenther Fischer <guenther.fischer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 11:20:00 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, Brad Dixon wrote:

> >And the question is now:
> >'How do i correctly define my squid cache dirs now in the config ?'
> >
> >Coz, if i specify
> >
> >cache_swap 1750 (approx total of the three disks)
> >
> >and
> >cache_dir /squid-cache
> >cache_dir /squid-cache1 (the places where they are mounted)
> >cache_dir /squid-cache2
> >
> >I expect that Squid will divide 1750 by three and thus two disks will
> >overflow, which of course is impossible.
> >
> >So...is Squid this good that it determines automatically how big each disk
> >is, and correctly assigns swapspace to each (i.c. 750,550,550).
> >
> >I read somewhere earlier this week that all cache dirs MUST be the same
> >size.

This is correct.

You could define the following:
chache_swap 1750
# 750 M
cache_dir /squid-cache/a
cache_dir /squid/cache/b
cache_dir /squid/cache/c
cache_dir /squid/cache/d
# 550 M
cache_dir /squid/cache2/a
cache_dir /squid/cache2/b
cache/dir /squid/cache2/c
# 550 M
cache_dir /squid/cache3/a
cache/dir /squid/cache3/b
cache/dir /squid/cache3/c

550 / 3 = 183
183 * 4 = 732

To have some more space on the first partition is a good choice because
there is the default place for the log (the dictionary for the hole cache.

        ~Guenther