Re: WS FTP

From: Craig Sanders <cas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 18:45:45 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, David J N Begley wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, RHS Linux User wrote:
>
> > I have a client who wants to use WS FTP client through a squid proxy. I
> > played with the "firewall" settings a little on WS FTP but couldn't get
> > it to work. Any ideas?
>
> FAQ!!
>
> Squid (like the proxy module in Apache, like the proxy capability in
> CERN/W3C httpd, like...) is a Web proxy, not a traditional protocol proxy
> for firewalls. As such, it doesn't talk native protocols on both sides of
> the request - it talks only HTTP between itself (the proxy) and the
> browser, and uses the native protocol (HTTP, Gopher, FTP) between itself
> and the remote originating site.
>
> As such, to use the proxy your client must use HTTP - which WS_FTP does
> not, being an FTP client...

does anyone know if anyone has worked on an ftp proxy program which talks
ftp to the end-user client and http to squid?

Even better would be some sort of inter process communication which
allowed other proxying programs to ask it "hey squid!, fetch this file
for me from this site". This would need an IPC spec for squid and an
ftpget which (optionally) returned native ftp rather than html.

this would be very useful:

    - ftp data would be cached by squid (which makes a lot more sense
      than having a squid cache and some hypothetical caching ftp proxy)

    - transparent proxying on linux could be used to automatically
      divert all ftp requests to the proxy.

anyone worked on anything like this?

Craig