Re: WS FTP

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:43:13 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, RHS Linux User wrote:

> I have a client who wants to use WS FTP client through a squid proxy. I
> played with the "firewall" settings a little on WS FTP but couldn't get
> it to work. Any ideas?

FAQ!!

Squid (like the proxy module in Apache, like the proxy capability in
CERN/W3C httpd, like...) is a Web proxy, not a traditional protocol proxy
for firewalls. As such, it doesn't talk native protocols on both sides of
the request - it talks only HTTP between itself (the proxy) and the
browser, and uses the native protocol (HTTP, Gopher, FTP) between itself
and the remote originating site.

As such, to use the proxy your client must use HTTP - which WS_FTP does
not, being an FTP client...

Cheers..

dave