Re: Memory Leaks - 1.1.8 - BSDI 2.1

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 15:46:07 +0200

Eric Wieling writes:
> Some time ago Matthew McGehrin said:
> >
> > I have been running the squid proxy on two servers so far, and
> > it seems to behave nicely on my FreeBSD 2.1.5 Machine, and actually
> > stays within the memory limits I specified, but on a BSDI 2.1
> > machine, it will sometimes go up as much as 2 or 3 megs over
> > the "ram" limit I set at 4 megs.
> >
> > Just thought you guys might want to know :)
Yeah. We know :)

> > As with all my "applications" I have a cron job restarting it daily,
> > so the memory leak isnt soo bad, but its something to be
> > aware off. Ironically, 1.1.7 ran fine.
Possibly because it's not very heavily used?

> Our squid (I don't recall the version) has the memory limit set to
> 8 megs in the squid.conf file, but generally grows to 27 megs and
> stableizes there. At the moment it's not a problem, but we will be
> running other stuff on the box soon and would like to have my memory
> back. 8-)
It all has to do with the size of the files that people are downloading.
Our caches normally run at about 100M of swapped out ram each, though
I have specified that they shouldn't use more than 4M. (ie stop complaining
<GRIN>)

Squid-NOVM is supposed to use no ram for "hot objects" and the like.
Currently it's a little Beta tho. quite a few people are using it, and it
seems ok tho.

Oskar