Re: Memory Leaks - 1.1.8 - BSDI 2.1

From: Peter Marelas <maral@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 01:35:22 +1100 (EST)

Eric and peers..

Were running squid 1.1.8 on BSDI 2.1 with all patches.
We linked squid wtih gnumalloc, and we found its memory requirements to
"stabilize" therefore we could predict a good value for cache_mem.

We currently have cache_mem set to 38 on a system with 80 Mb.

Squid does not exceed a SIZE of 60M. While its RESIDENT SIZE fluctuates
slowly from 43M to 46M..

Btw, you need to change the resource limits of the system to be
able to consume this much memory from a singe process.
See DFLDSIZ and MAXDSIZ in your kernel conf. Also you will need to
do "unlimit" before running squid.

One last tip, were using async I/O on the squid cache partition. See
mount option async.

Regards
Peter Marelas

--
The Fulcrum Consulting Group               Peter Marelas - Consultant
12/10-16 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000,Australia   Ph: +61-3-9621-2100