Re: ftp proxy from Macintosh doesn't work

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 20:11:08 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Takuya Mori wrote:

> Though I can use ftp proxy from my Macintosh version of
> Netscape Navigator 3.01, cannot use from anarchie 2.01
> and fetch 3.01.

FAQ!!

Squid is not a "proxy" in the traditional firewall sense, but in a more
contemporary Web sense; that is, it does not speak the same protocols on
both sides of the query.

Squid (like CERN/W3C, Apache and other Web proxies) only talks the HTTP
protocol to the client/browser, therefore if your FTP clients (Anarchie
and Fetch) cannot talk HTTP to the proxy server, they cannot use Squid as
a proxy.

> Does anyone know how I can use squid's ftp proxy from those
> ftp client program on Macintosh?

The "ftp://" in requests indicates how Squid will retreive the object from
the remote server, not that it is an automatic proxy for the FTP protocol
per se.

Cheers..

dave