Re: Squid and Web Counters

From: Shamil R. Yahin <SSHY@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon Apr 7 03:18:24 1997

> > In our BSDI 2.1 box we have 64M of RAM istalled. We set up Squid to use
> > only 8M of RAM right now.
> > When I run top utility, it shows that Squid actually uses 25M and system
>
> It should be in the FAQ...
>
> cache_mem indicates only the memory that should be used by Squid for
> "hot" objects (frequently requests objets, which are worth caching in
> RAM). Real memory consumption is always larger, sometimes three times as
> much (it depends on many things. specially on the size of the *disk*
> cache because the larger it is, the larger are the data structures which
> describe it, structures which are in Squid's memory...).
>
> Use cache manager's "info" to see where memory goes.

It is good idea to use cachemgr's info and we would like to do
this but unfortunalty squid always dies with the following
lines in cache.log:

97/03/19 16:41:34| CACHEMGR: 193.124.209.69 requesting 'info'
FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying.

Exept for this everything else works fine. Any ideas?
We use squid-1.1.6 on UnixWare 2.1.1

Shamil

Shamil Yahin                Novosibirsk State University
sshy@iceman.cnit.nsu.ru     http://www.nsu.ru/