fallback list of single parents ?

From: Thomas Mechtersheimer <thomasm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 23:06:47 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi !

Is the following configurations possible with squid: ?

Currently I have squid configured to use a single default parent.
I cannot use ICP with this parent. If the connection to this parent
fails, squid will start to fetch documents directly until the parent
becomes available again. That works fine.

Now I want squid to connect to a different parent if (and only if)
the first one fails or is unavailable. How do I configure this ?
If I list both parents in the cache_host section, squid will always
fetch objects from the second parent, as this one answers ICP queries,
and the first one does not; even if I configure a large weight to the
second parent.
But I do not want to use the second parent at all, as long as the first
one is available.

Another solution for my strange configuration would be to have the ICP port
for a parent on a different host than the proxy port; but this seems to be
impossible to configure...

   Thomas

--
Thomas Mechtersheimer  -  Zum Hasenkampsplatz 1  -  D-42553 Velbert  -  Germany
EMail: thomasm@mechti.wupper.de                                IRC-Nick: Mechti