Re: fallback list of single parents ?

From: Malcolm B.J. Garbutt <mgarbutt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:34:33 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Thomas Mechtersheimer wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Is the following configurations possible with squid: ?
>
> Currently I have squid configured to use a single default parent.
> I cannot use ICP with this parent. If the connection to this parent
> fails, squid will start to fetch documents directly until the parent
> becomes available again. That works fine.
>
> Now I want squid to connect to a different parent if (and only if)
> the first one fails or is unavailable. How do I configure this ?

In the line where you specified the parent listings enter:

weight=50 (or any number) at the end of the line where you specify which
parent you want as the prefered.

> If I list both parents in the cache_host section, squid will always
> fetch objects from the second parent, as this one answers ICP queries,
> and the first one does not; even if I configure a large weight to the
> second parent.
> But I do not want to use the second parent at all, as long as the first
> one is available.
>
> Another solution for my strange configuration would be to have the ICP port
> for a parent on a different host than the proxy port; but this seems to be
> impossible to configure...
>
> Thomas
>
> --
> Thomas Mechtersheimer - Zum Hasenkampsplatz 1 - D-42553 Velbert - Germany
> EMail: thomasm@mechti.wupper.de IRC-Nick: Mechti
> "No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from."

We appreciate any feedback.

Malcolm Garbutt mgarbutt@mildura.net.au
Network Administrator -
MILDURA.NET MURRAY.NET

Office Ph. 03 50 212 991 Office Fax 03 50 212 932
Emergency Ph. 018 596 150

        Connecting you to the World........