Re: Splitting requests ...

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 18:55:09 +0100

On Sat 19 Apr, 1997, Garry Glendown <garry@insider.regio.net> wrote:
>For a first step, selecting the cache parent by file extension might be
>a start ... could someone accustomed to the Squid source point me to a

if you're looking for a way of spreading responsibility for URLs over a
number of caches, I'd quite like to implement this in terms of
performing a simple hash on a URL, take this modulo the number of
caches you want to spread the load between (though this makes adding
machines awkward) and send to the relevent cache.

ie:
        NMACHINES = 5 # 5 machines
        n = hash(URL) % NMACHINES
        send request to 'n'th machine

however, if you're looking for something geographical, then using the
IP address and consulting in a table generated from the RADB would work.

James.