Parent, sibling, help please?

From: Ross Wheeler <rossw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 17:06:39 +1000 (EST)

I've been using squid for quite some time, but a very old version (1.0.3
I think), and have now built up a new proxy and installed 1.1.9. Already
I like the improvements, although a couple of things broke some cgi
scripts I was running (the way the "forwarded for" changed for instance).

Anyhow, my questionis, I have an old proxy still operational, and with a
reasonable amount of cached material. Can someone suggest the best way
for me to achieve my aims here?

Current server, say "oldproxy", new machine "newproxy".
Currently, my DNS has
proxy cname oldproxy
  but I'll change that to
proxy cname newproxy

No-one needs to be bothered witht that, it's straightforward.

I would like to set up the new proxy to check if the old one already has
the file cached, and if so, to fetch it from there *and cache it locally*
(so when the old proxy gets removed, it won't have anything relevant
still there, or hopefully not too much!).

If oldproxy doesn't have it, I'd like it to check our upstream providers
proxy, and it it's there, *cache it locally* also.

If NEITHER have the file, I want (initially) to request it directly, but
the option of making the upstream proxy fetch it.

Do I simply set
  sibling oldproxy
  sibling upstream (to fetch myself)
and
  sibling oldproxy
  parent upstream (to make upstream fetch)

I have read the dox, and perhaps it's lack of sleep or interruptions,
but I can't seem to find the answer.

TIA,
RossW