Re: Separating FTP traffic from HTTP

From: Richard Munro <munro@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 10:35:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Stefan Berg wrote:

> My question is: does the DNS system automatically spread load between
> the two different CNAMES (especially in Solaris), or do you have
> to manually instruct it to do so? I thought that the two CNAMES are
> used by the clients in sequential order?

We are using IBM's AIX, as well as Linux. Both seem to just flip-flop
based on client requests. So what has occurred is that with the DNS
alternating the IP number for the proxy server's name on each request,
we've been able to just about split the load between the two servers.

We've done nothing in the DNS table itself other than to just specify the
two CNAMES entries.

I don't know about Solaris, but I've been told that the latest versions of
BIND can do this CNAMES trick.

Unix System Administration Humber College Network Services Department
munro@moe.acad.humberc.on.ca