Re: difference between MSIE and NS?

From: Cefiar <cefiar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 20:21:10 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Kip DeGraaf wrote:

> Squid 1.1.8 has been running very well for us. But there is one
> workstation which seems to generate nearly 25% of our entire traffic. The
> only difference is that this one workstation is configured with Internet
> Explorer 3.02 as opposed to Netscape 3.01 which is installed on the other

Is this report of traffic generation based on data (bytes) fetched, or
based on how many url's are fetched?

Reason I ask, is that since MSIE is capable of ActiveX controls, and
Netscape isn't, could it be the extra ActiveX controls (some can be HUGE)
being transferred that could be part of your traffic?

You might want to see if you can disable ActiveX in MSIE and see how far
that gets you....

| http://amarok.glasswings.com.au/ | cefiar@amarok.glasswings.com.au |
| Jake and Elwood - The Blues Brothers! |
| "You traded it?! You traded the Blues Mobile for this?" |
| "No. For a microphone." "A microphone? OK I can see that." |