Squid for NT & Newbie questions

From: Neil Cotty <neilc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 09:19:21 +1000

Hi all,

Ok, standard 'Sorry if this has been asked 16 million times before'
intro ! :)

Firstly, are there any plans to develop an NT port of the Squid Proxy or
is there one already ? We are a very small ISP and are moving away from
Unix to NT (for administration reasons). We have limited bandwidth and
our backbone provider (thieves inc. :) ) have recently introduced Usage
based pricing, so we now need an effective caching proxy server.

Our current external traffic does not exceed 7 gig per month at the
moment. Can anyone recommend a Squid configuration for this ? Even if it
is not NT based as we may have to dedicate a machine/s for the proxy. We
currently have a spare PC which is a P100 with 16m RAM. What sort of
configuration would be necessary to service the above quantity of
traffic ? I realise a RAM upgrade is probably mandatory. What about
cache size (hard disk) ?

Sorry to ask so many stupid questions but I'm a total newbie at this and
I've heard so many good things about Squid I thought I had to check it
out! I've tried MS Proxy but I'm not convinced about its performance or
scalability.

Cheers,

Neil.