Re: Squid for NT & Newbie questions

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 May 97 10:53:39 +0200

On Tuesday 20 May 97, at 9 h 19, the keyboard of Neil Cotty
<neilc@tradesrv.com.au> wrote:

> Firstly, are there any plans to develop an NT port of the Squid Proxy or
> is there one already ?

Not that I'm aware of. Since Squid really stresses the operating system
and libraries, such a port would probably be quite difficult. (Any Unix
compatibility library is not sufficient.)

> We are a very small ISP and are moving away from
> Unix to NT (for administration reasons).

Then, you'll lose a lot of good software. Most network software is
developed on Unix.

> is not NT based as we may have to dedicate a machine/s for the proxy. We
> currently have a spare PC which is a P100 with 16m RAM. What sort of
> configuration would be necessary to service the above quantity of
> traffic ? I realise a RAM upgrade is probably mandatory. What about
> cache size (hard disk) ?

Yes, Squid eats a lot of memory. If the machine is dedicated to Squid, 16
megabytes can be enough in your case but the larger the better. Squid
behaves really badly when it misses RAM. On the other hand, if you do not
have enough hard disk space, Squid degrades more gracefully. Do not
forget that the two items are related: Squid keeps a lot of maps in
memory so the more hard disk you have, the more you use memory. Add RAM
first, then hard disk!