Re: Restricting access by browser type

From: Jamie Wilson <jamie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 10:02:49 +0100

At 08:47 30/05/97 +0200, Cord Beermann wrote:
>Hallo! Du (Juan Carlos Leon) hast geschrieben:
>
>>Recently some "smart" users discovered some windows proxy servers utilities
>>and are giving unathorized access to friends and such. I've been banging my
>>head finding a way to get around this problem. Maybe there's a way to tell
>>Squid to only service request from Netscape users since browsers send
>>the client/browser info/type with the requests. At least our http server
logs
>>the type of client used in the request
(Netscape/Explorer/winproxy/wingate/etc)

>My solution would be to deny the access for the misused computers,
>until i hear that they won't do that again.
>
>But with Squid V1.1.x you have also the possibility to deny/allow on
>Browser info.

I have seen proxy's which let you set what the proxy will present as the
browser info...

I like the idea of denying access to the misused computers - I'm sure that
will put a stop to things quick smart. :)

...j

Jamie Wilson jamie@staff.netchannel.co.uk
NetChannel UK tel: +44 (171) 591 7000
CGI Developer fax: +44 (171) 591 7001