Re: Restricting access by browser type

From: Juan Carlos Leon <jleon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 10:49:50 +0500 (GMT)

> >>Recently some "smart" users discovered some windows proxy servers utilities
> >>and are giving unathorized access to friends and such. I've been banging my
> >>head finding a way to get around this problem. Maybe there's a way to tell
> >>Squid to only service request from Netscape users since browsers send
> >>the client/browser info/type with the requests. At least our http server
> logs
> >>the type of client used in the request
> (Netscape/Explorer/winproxy/wingate/etc)
> >
> >My solution would be to deny the access for the misused computers,
> >until i hear that they won't do that again.
> >But with Squid V1.1.x you have also the possibility to deny/allow on
> >Browser info.
>
> I have seen proxy's which let you set what the proxy will present as the
> browser info...
> I like the idea of denying access to the misused computers - I'm sure that
> will put a stop to things quick smart. :)

Thanks for the suggestions, my problem is that it's really hard to tell which
machines are doing this, so it's hard to tell when a new machine starts doing
this. Also I just discovered that some windows proxies can identify the
request using the original browser indentifier. So I'm kind of lost on this.

Juan

--
jleon@continental.fin.ec	Area Administracion Sistemas
				Sistemas y Proyectos