Re: Webbrowser cache implementation.

From: Graham Toal <gtoal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 12:07:27 -0500 (CDT)

> I agree entirely!.... Though I think we might want to cooridnate with the
> squid developers about some possible enhancements to the squid protocols..
>
> > Hmmm. I wonmder if we need an extension to ICP to tell a squid cache
> > to go fetch a page, but don't bother delivering it to me. That way a
> > client can get something prefetched ready for when it has the bandwidth
> > to fetch it or the user asks for it?

I spoke too soon. Turns out squid has this already: ICP_NOTIFY

See http://shika.aist-nara.ac.jp/products/wcol/dev/icp_notify.html

It may be a patch rather than part of the dist; I don't know.

PS That page is part of documentation about a pre-fetching cache system.
Shame it's a whole cache and not just a stand-alone front-end that
can sit between the user and squid.