Re: Squid access.log Messages

From: Samath Wijesundara <samath@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 14:32:04 +0000

Dear Cord, Squid-Users

On the http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/1.1/1.1.10/Release-Notes-1.1.txt

It explains that
     SOURCE_FASTEST:
                  The object was requested from the origin server
                because the 'source_ping' reply arrived first.

But I never see this SOURCE_FASTEST on my log file even when I try to
access a local (Sri Lankan) site. Do you know why. I have both pinger and
'query_icmp on' in action too!

ALSO I get
        TIMEOUT_CLOSEST_PARENT_MISS
Explain me why it gets a TIMEOUT as it has received a PARENT_MISS ?
Does this mean that squid thinks it is a TIMEOUT when the squid cannot find
a HIT ?

Also I see that just TCP_MISS & DIRECT there on the logfile. Why it does
not fetch thorough the PARENT ? I expect something like SOURCE_FASTEST
instead ?

I understand if it says TIMEOUT_DIRECT (which means it is decided to fetch
the object from the SOURCE as other neighbors timed out.)

These questions are for my curiosity, I really do not understand why it is
deciding to fetch from the DIRECT ?

Samath