Re: Squid access.log Messages

From: Cord Beermann <cord@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 10:31:05 +0200 (MET DST)

Hallo! Du (Samath Wijesundara) hast geschrieben:

>It explains that
> SOURCE_FASTEST:
> The object was requested from the origin server
> because the 'source_ping' reply arrived first.

>But I never see this SOURCE_FASTEST on my log file even when I try to
>access a local (Sri Lankan) site. Do you know why. I have both pinger and
>'query_icmp on' in action too!

Try debug_options ALL,1 15,6 and look for /neighborsUdpPing/ in your
cache.log. (WARNING: This could make your cache.log grow very large
in a short time) There you can see if source_ping is used or not. If
it is used then your neighbor/parent-caches are faster than your
sources.

(Have you installed the pinger-program as root?!)

>ALSO I get
> TIMEOUT_CLOSEST_PARENT_MISS
>Explain me why it gets a TIMEOUT as it has received a PARENT_MISS ?
>Does this mean that squid thinks it is a TIMEOUT when the squid cannot find
>a HIT ?

Squid gets the object from a parent which has to fetch it itself.
The TIMEOUT_ shows that not all icp-requests to your
parents/neighbors were coming back in the neighbor_timeout -time
(default 2sec)

>Also I see that just TCP_MISS & DIRECT there on the logfile. Why it does
>not fetch thorough the PARENT ? I expect something like SOURCE_FASTEST
>instead ?

See above, and see your configuration, especially inside_firewall
(all which isn't in this will be fetched through neighbors and
parents) and local_domain (all in this goes direct)

Cord

--
Cord Beermann        http://www.Wunder-Nett.org/~cord/
cord@Wunder-Nett.org IRC: Cord@Wunder-Nett