Re: Squid access.log Messages

From: Samath Wijesundara <samath@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 17:02:04 +0000

Hello Cord,

Thanks so much for the info ! This is my observations.

At 10:31 AM 6/9/97 +0200, Cord Beermann wrote:
>Hallo! Du (Samath Wijesundara) hast geschrieben:
>
>>It explains that
>> SOURCE_FASTEST:
>> The object was requested from the origin server
>> because the 'source_ping' reply arrived first.
>
>>But I never see this SOURCE_FASTEST on my log file even when I try to
>>access a local (Sri Lankan) site. Do you know why. I have both pinger and
>>'query_icmp on' in action too!
>
>Try debug_options ALL,1 15,6 and look for /neighborsUdpPing/ in your
>cache.log. (WARNING: This could make your cache.log grow very large
>in a short time) There you can see if source_ping is used or not. If
>it is used then your neighbor/parent-caches are faster than your
>sources.

I can see the /neighborsUdpPing/ in my logfile. I wonder, my local sites
which are local to me is faster than the parents. So it should have
SOURCE_FASTEST. I am using 2 parents in USA, the fastet RTT is 300ms to
these, and my local sites are at maximum 80ms or less. But generally squid
get local sites DIRECT, but not SOURCE_FASTEST ?

>(Have you installed the pinger-program as root?!)
Yes I did this ! Also I can monitor ping info on the cache manager as well.

>>ALSO I get
>> TIMEOUT_CLOSEST_PARENT_MISS
>>Explain me why it gets a TIMEOUT as it has received a PARENT_MISS ?
>>Does this mean that squid thinks it is a TIMEOUT when the squid cannot find
>>a HIT ?
>
>Squid gets the object from a parent which has to fetch it itself.
>The TIMEOUT_ shows that not all icp-requests to your
>parents/neighbors were coming back in the neighbor_timeout -time
>(default 2sec)

This make sence, may be this has to be explained on the FAQ as well :-)

>>Also I see that just TCP_MISS & DIRECT there on the logfile. Why it does
>>not fetch thorough the PARENT ? I expect something like SOURCE_FASTEST
>>instead ?
>
>See above, and see your configuration, especially inside_firewall
>(all which isn't in this will be fetched through neighbors and
>parents) and local_domain (all in this goes direct)

I do not have any firewall. Is there a way to know why squid decide to
fetch from the DIRECT instead getting it from the parent. What I say is
that merely DIRECT is not sufficient, it should contain some reason :-|

Thanks again,

- Samath
Sri Lanka