Re: OS of choice

From: John E. Kozitzki <johnk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 08:41:36 -0400

----------
>From: Martin Ibert <mib@ppe.bb-data.de>
>To: John E. Kozitzki <johnk@bwcoop.com>
>Subject: Re: OS of choice
>Date: Thursday, June 19, 1997 8:30 AM
>
>John E. Kozitzki wrote:
>
>> Response time has been good with this setup, but would like to see it
>> increase a little more.
>
>Why would you want to see your response time increased?
>
>:-)
>
>SCNR
>--
>Dipl.-Inform. Martin Ibert, BB-DATA GmbH, phone: +49-30-245-56582
>Brunnenstraße 111, D-13355 Berlin, Germany, fax: +49-30-245-56577
>--------------------------------------- mailto:mib@ppe.bb-data.de
>----------

The reason?
Good question.
I just felt that since we support only 200 users and we average
approximately 500 connections per hour, response should be a little more
faster than it is currently. I am not complaining about the performance we
are getting now, but I thought that I would throw this out to see if maybe
I set something up wrong by using the wrong OS. My main concern is the
delay in retrieving a page. If we have a couple of users on the Squid,
requests are gathered quite fast. Once we begin adding another user and
then another, delays begin to last a good minute. To me, it sounds like the
program threads are not sharing Machine time properly. Maybe one user is
taking all the Machine's power from the other users. This is what I am
trying to determine.

Thanx

John Kozitzki
Information Systems Manager