Re: Unusual connections.

From: Benarson Behajaina R. <Benarson.Behajaina@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 12:09:43 +0200 (MET DST)

Stephane Bortzmeyer, in your previous mail you wrote:

> On Tuesday 24 June 97, at 8 h 33, the keyboard of Matt Isleb
> <kermit@reptile.clc.cc.il.us> wrote:
>
> > Is there any particular reason that i would have the host:
> > proxy_a.mlg.ywcn.or.id connecting to my cache??? I have no idea who this
Someone use your server as their parent or sibling, if your cache is
the one of the biggest cache in the domain (location) where you are.
Fetching a document from cache is better than connecting direct to the server,
since some servers don't use squid (cache proxy server), but use Apache or NCSA etc ...
Of course you can select (allow or deny access) servers that may use
you as parent or neighbour.

> > is... hell i don't even know what country .id is. I have like 7 open
> India. Many people in the world do not live in the United States
> (amazing, isn't it?)
No, .id isn't India but Indonesia. India is .in
(About Top domains see squid-logs.pl script written by Wessels)

> > connections INCOMING to port 3128 from that machine and like 10 still in
> > the process of closing... wierd.
>
> I don't know why they try to use your site (a mail to
> postmaster@mlg.ywcn.or.id will probably fix it) but did you set up the
> minimum protections of your proxy as suggested in the QUICKSTART file?

        Benarson.