Re: FTP Fails After Awhile

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 09:09:46 +0200

Bob Burton writes:
> Hi All:
>
> I've been playing with squid the last several weeks and the learning
> curve has been a little steep especially with getting the
> refresh_pattern right.
>
> Anyway, a couple of questions:
>
> 1. I've been reading on the list about DNS failures in certain time
> sensitive situations; I've run into the same problem when I reduced the
> number of dnsserver processes to 1. I started up another, and the
> problems with DNS went away. Any comments? (Be nice)
The dnsservers run as seperate processes because they "block". This means
that if they were in the squid process and wanted to do a dns query
it wouldn't be able to do anything while it was doing the lookup...

ie when you configure one dnsserver it means that while a dns request
completes squid can't do any other dns lookups...

> 2. When retrieving files via FTP I haven't been able to get anything
> bigger than about 2 MB. I adjusted the allowed object size but it
> didn't do any good. What am I missing?
Never had this problem before!

Oskar