Re: Using squid as a 'falloverable proxy'.

From: Michael Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 09:05:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> Hi.. I run a cache for a small ISP.. Most of the users use netscape/ie
> with config files that let the browser work if the proxy fails.. some do
> not.. I'd like to setup a copy of squid on port 8080 that will answer and
> forward to 3128 if it's answering.. I dont want it to do any caching.. If
> it's not up it should just note it in a log and directly fetch it.. Can
> this be dones with the config files or would I be best hacking the
> source.. Or is my idea fundmentaly broken?

You should use the proxy-autoconfig feature. The PAC script returns a
value that indicates what proxy to use, and if you provide a semicolon
separated list of hostnames and port numbers, the browser will try each of
them in turn, as in:

        return "PROXY proxy:8080; PROXY proxy:3128; DIRECT"

If you're not doing any caching, though, why even bother with this?

        -Mike Pelletier.