Re: Work Around For COmmunicator

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:33:13 +0100

At 10:55 AM 7/10/97 +0200, Peter Eisenhauer wrote:

>Regarding TCP_CLIENT_REFRESH for popular sites: I am getting the same behaviour
>here running (old) Netscape 3.01. Especially: www.microsoft.com (Though I can't
>explain why they are so popular ;-> ). Somebody else noticed or am I just
>getting old ?

I've also wondered why microsofts home gives us a shitty hit-rate. It's very
popular (I wonder why) and a low hit-rate: this is not normal.

I have the benefit of having RMON2-probes installed so I did some traces.

Guess what I've found: an expires header on many of their pages with the
expires time almost the same as "now"....

So, MS doesn't want us to cache their pages and in this case squid does what
it should (don't cache). Now you also know why Bill G. is talking about the
electronic super highway because you are going to need it if all follow this
lead....

A good discussion though: What would be nice is some settings in the config
to force a minimal caching-time and/or IMS based on url/site (also when the
server tries to prevent caching via expires headers and users try to force a
reload). This way we could improve the hit rate on low importance /
frequently used sites.

Another thing I would like in squid is a setting to make squid cache files
with cookie headers (also in those cases the files was downloaded via a
parent/sibling without this setting and thus telling my squid to make it
private) This also defeats the caching of squid. I'm now using a dirty hack
in http.c to do this but its very rude...
My reason for this is that cookies get more popular but squid doesn't cache
these files. (I don't care that this defeats the cookie mechanism...)

Marc
Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
E-Mail: marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int
Private: selm@cistron.nl, selm@het.net, http://www.cistron.nl/~selm