Re: cache sizes & needed ram.

From: Matt Isleb <kermit@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 10:08:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, FatMan wrote:

> i'm running a 12gb cache on a 64mb machine, and untill recently
> looking at the memory on other large caches being 2-4 times what we
> have. the cache is now 1/2 full and we are starting to experince
> various troubles from squid stalling for 10mins when requesting
> cache_object://'s to dieing of malloc errors to the system drive
> burning out.

With a 1.5GB cache on a Linux box, squid is using about 30MB of RAM
(64MB total system). So I imagine a 12GB cache will require quite a bit
more than 64MB. You will need at least 128MB. Once squid starts swaping
to disk it will lag big time. If you just cannot afford the memory yo
might want to get the NOVM version of squid. But you will definitely
need the memory if you ever plan on using all 12GB.

Matt