Re: Squid vs. NetCache

From: Bernhard Kroenung <horke@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 15:10:45 +0200 (MET DST)

> I would be interested in real-live experience about NetCache. Does it
> really behave that much better as they want to make us believe? What
> are the drawbacks (other than not having the source code)?

first of all - You have to pay for it (they have a give-away for one version
per company, but if you are in need for more than one you have to pay)

I realized no huge difference in performance, If you "tune" squid it should
be as fast as netcache - but you have to have experience with the configuration
of squid - and that is the difference.

If you like to click around menues, do http-based configuration - it's your
choice to pay for it. you can use netscapes fasttrack or you can use apache,
you can use postgres and you can use oracle. for (almost) every pay-ware there
is a pd-ware ... or (as with netcache) for every pd-ware there is a product
you can pay for it if you want ...

  Ciao
    Bernhard

--
Bernhard Kroenung, Bahnhofstr 8, 36157 Ebersburg/Rhoen, Germany +49 6656 910101
@work : bernhard@kroenung.de                              Work: +49 661 9011777