Re: Squid and Communicator Part II

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 23:39:48 +1000 (EST)

Greg Patterson wrote:
 "Finally, has someone attempted to get in touch with Netscape to get
 this fixed or made configurable?"

Christian Balzer wrote:
 "Yup, has there been any progress in that area?"

Well, I've finally had time to sit down and confirm that sure enough,
Netscape Communicator 4.01 Preview Release 6 for Linux does send
"Pragma:no-cache" when (IMHO) it shouldn't (ie., for instances other than
when hitting Shift-Reload). This might explain some other wierd
performance problems we've been seeing if every Netscape 4 request results
in an external request. :-(

And yes, I sent in a bug report to Netscape; I hope that others who also
see this problem likewise give Netscape as much information about their
environments as possible so this can be fixed as quickly as possible -
especially in light of the fact that the problem does not appear to be
universal (cf., Don Rolph indicating that it all works fine for him).

I've been told (but haven't been able to confirm this) that Netscape 4 for
Solaris and Netscape 4 for Windows 95 are also affected, so it could be
something that Netscape have decided in all their wisdom is "better for
business" - unless many people complain, they probably won't fix it.

Certainly if this is the direction in which Netscape is going, HotJava and
JavaStations start to look better all the time.. . . .

Cheers..

dave