Re: Is our cache_swap enough? studying store.log

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz <map@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 14:18:57 +0800 (HKT)

Hello,

Duane Wessels wrote:
> This doesn't seem quite right. For one thing, its hard to determine
> a single age value for one refresh rule (you have to consider the
> last modification times, etc), and even harder to determine an age
> for a whole set of such rules.

Yup I thought about that - it's like the script has to reverse-engineer
the decision process.

> Also, there are really only two reasons than an object is RELEASED.
> Either it was bumped out for space, or a newer version was loaded
> and the old was thrown out.

I was curious on how much stuff was bumped out for lack of space. That
would be the clue on whether more space is necessary.

> I think you might want to look at the 'LRU Age' value from the
> cachemgr 'info' page
>
> Storage LRU Expiration Age: 10.41 days
>
> Although this number can vary a bit from time to time, it roughly
> tells you how often your entire cache is flushed.

Thanks, I think this is a clue.

> There is a good paper at
> http://www.cs.ubc.ca/spider/marwood/Projects/SPA/Report/Report.html
> which relates cache sizes and hit rates.

Thanks again.

Regards,

--
miguel a.l. paraz  <map@iphil.net>                              +63-2-750-2288