Re: Optimize Config for Squid 1.1.9

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 08:36:14 +0100

At 10:56 PM 7/28/97 -0400, you wrote:
> I'm currently running a Squid proxy
>in a "trial" mode for the Resident's Network
>at the Georgia Institute of Technology, to help
>reduce off campus traffic, which we have to pay for.
>
> During the summer I have about 1,000
>users with the proxy configured to 25mb of ram
>and 415mb of hd with 16 1st level dirs 256 2nd level
>dirs and 1024 ip cache with the standard high/low percents.

This is a small cache...

> In fall I will have close to 5,000
>users and have already made plans to upgrade the
>ram to 100mb and cache size to 4 gig. I've been
>at lost to find good config data and was wondering
>if this would be a sufficient and what, if any
>variable changes I should make.

We are running 128Mb RAM (which is more than enough but I need to run some
other mem intensive stuff on our machine in parallel)

HD: this is very dependent of the diversity of the data accessed but judging
from our site with 3.5GB for 200 users your site needs a bit more. With the
correct HD-size your hitrate should atleast be 30%-40% (I think).

A good start could be splitting a 4Gb in 2 filesystems. An upgrade to 2x 4Gb
is a simple task without loss of cache (by moving a filesystem to 4Gb
seperate disks) If money isn't a real issue (or if you can afford 8Gb) I
would go for 2x 4GB on a 8Gb disk (with an easy upgrade path to 16GB)

Bottom line is what is the diversity of the data, how much of this data is
cacheble (and not script-based) and what kind of hitrate are you aiming for.

> Connectivity is not a problem as the machine
>has 100mb dedicated connection to the switches
>that go to the 48 subnets around campus.

What is more importand (I think) is your wide area connection. (and the size
of your budget if you are paying per Mb)

> CPU is also
>not a problem as the machine is a dual ppro 180 that
>is more than 95% idle most of the time.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Miles

Marc
Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
E-Mail: marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int
Private: selm@cistron.nl, selm@het.net, http://www.cistron.nl/~selm
....UNIX IS THE ANSWER....LINUX IS ALSO FREE.... (personal statement)