Re: Easy way to increase cache size without flushing cache?

From: Henny Bekker <H.Bekker@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 01:00:38 +0200 (METDST)

Dear Mike,

> Now that I've got Squid up and running swimmingly, I'm interested in
> increasing the size of the cache to fill up the room left over by the
> shut-down of the Apache cache. Is there a way to do this without entirely
> erasing the cache? Do I just increase "cache_size" and HUP it? How many
> storage dirs should I have for a particular cache size?

You can increase the "cache_size" and then kill -HUP the Squid server.
What you can't do without problems in adding another "cache_dir"..
Squid assumes that the caches are of the same size..It just alternates
between the caches for every object which gets stored.

The number of cache_dir's depend on the size of your total cache and RAM.
Squid uses a two-level directory structure (L1 and L2). You don't want
to have to much entries in a directory.. See for the release notes for
an explanation of the cache directory structure.

Cheers, Henny

PS Mike, still 10 hour's to go before I go on vacantion...

E-Mail: Henny.Bekker@cc.ruu.nl    ! Disclaimer: The main obstacle to progress
http    http://www.ruu.nl/~henny  !             progress is not ignorance,but
PTT:    Voice: +31 30 2536971 Fax: +31 30 2531633 ! the illusion of knowledge
X400:   /G=Henny/S=Bekker/OU=cc/O=ruu/PRMD=surf/ADMD=400net/C=nl         o
Paper:  H.J.Bekker, Utrecht University, Computer Centre              _  /- _
        Po Box 80011, 3508 TA  Utrecht  Nederland                   (_) > (_)