Re: local httpd and parent

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:16:31 -0400 (EDT)

If you are running Netscape or MSIE, you can use the auto proxy config
feature to write a script that will inform your user's browser to access
certain sites directly... An example would be:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {
  // Only proxy for http, ftp, and gopher
  if ((url.substring(0, 5) != "http:") &&
      (url.substring(0, 4) != "ftp:") &&
      (url.substring(0, 7) != "gopher:")) {
    return "DIRECT";
  }

  // Don't cache the following:
  if (shExpMatch(host, "123.456.789.*") ||
      shExpMatch(host, "*go.direct.for.this.domain")) {
    return "DIRECT";
  }

  // Remote
  return "PROXY proxy.number.one:3128; PROXY proxy.number.two:3128; DIRECT";
}

This lets you tell browsers to go direct (i.e. not through the cache) for
any site on the subnet 123.456.789.*, and also for all sites in the domain
go.direct.for.this.domain. It will have the browser go through the cache
for everything else. The other nice things it lets you do is to specify
fallback caches (proxy.number.two is the second choice, and if all else
fails go direct), and it also lets you renumber/rename without requiring
your users to change any of their settings -- you just make the
appropriate changes in the the script and their browsers will
automatically reconfigure (the script is loaded each time the browser is
run).

Save the file as proxy.pac on your web server and then set the .pac mime
type to application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig. Under apache just add the line:

application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig pac

to your mime.types file. You don't need to do anything to your cache
software to get this working. Just make sure to set the port write when
you write the proxy.pac file.

        -Bill kb8wyp