Re: Squid and local multicast network

From: Daniel Schroder <daniel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 03:40:57 -0500 (CDT)

  I've been following this thread.
  We have a problem that when we use parents ,
  the delays become excessive. I've tried a
  multitude of configurations , and come tot the
  the conclusion because we so far away from
  nlanr.net , it is just not viable to parent
  because I suspect that packets are getting lost.

  The timeout is set to one second , and I find the
  only way to get a quick response is to simply
  turn off all the parents , and use them as siblings.

  Thats why I feel multicasting the solution. As I see
  it , one host is pinged , and one replies , and if that
  does not happen quick enough , the object is fetched directly.
  It seems that the more parents one has , the longer the delay is
  before a objects is delivered , and I'm worried about the time
  difference (Average of 500-600 Ms). Also , I'm reluctant to
  just set up a whole wack of siblings , it seems almost messy.

  I've experimented with parent rules , but it takes too much time
  to sit and tweak the whole day. I prefer the one ping , and the closest
  parent replies , or only one parent relies.

  Now , I've recompiled a kernel with multicast and Tunneling support
  and what I need to know is , how does one know that nlanr.mcast.ircache.net
  is 1.) Receiving 2.) Replying.
  Unfortanety I don't have the luxury of spending time sorting it out
  (Boss has a list off todos as long as my arm) , but a pointer as to what
  to look for would be appreciated.
  Squid 1.1.16 Linux Redhat4.2 Kernel 2.0.30 64 meg.

--Daniel Schroder
  Networld
  http://livewire.new.co.za (F) 419 3212
  mailto:daniel@new.co.za (T) 419 4430