Re: Squid and local multicast network

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 14:45:14 -0400 (EDT)

I have expienced similar problems... I am 13 hops away from
uc.cache.nlanr.net and have an average ping of about 100 mS or so. I am
only 6 hops away from my nearest parent, and I have problems with this one
too. I think the problem is that Squid isn't very tolerant of packet loss
but I can't be sure. I have found that enabling the ICMP pinging stuff
helps a lot, but my two nearest caches don't run it and thus aren't
queried very often.

Is there a way to use multicast for Squid without having a multicast-aware
path all the way to the other squids? Occasionally the delay from squid
can be severe enough that uses have actually noticed that direct connects
are faster (fortunatly Squid is usually faster than a direct connect). I
would like to continue to use the hierarchy but it is difficult to justify
when it results in a performance reduction during times of peak use...

        -Bill kb8wyp