Cache traffic - odd?

From: Leigh Porter <leigh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 14:49:12 +0100

Hi folks,

We run two pretty well used cache servers and I have noticed
some odd traffic stats.

The idea of a cahce server is to serve objects locally, an offset of
this is that it saves bandwidth.

We use MRTG to monitor the ethernet line going to the cache server
from a Cisco switch and even though the server gets almost a 30%
HIT rate there is often more traffic going OUT TO THE SERVER than
there is come FROM THE SERVER - which is odd!

Occasionally it will go the other way around.

Anybody know why this is or have similar monitors of bandwidth
usage they can share!?

Thanks,

Best Regards,
Leigh Porter