Re: Windows, yeeuch

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 10:28:56 +0200

Hi

> The idea of running squid under NT seems stupid to me. Squid is designed
The idea or running NT seems stupid to me.

> So SQUID and NT seem fundamently miss-matched. Novell would be a better
> canadate.
There is already a good cache program for it, though, with concepts
based on squid...

> Anyone thinking of seriously running a WebCache will probably want a
> dedicated computer anyways, and with FreeBSD and Linux it is MUCH more
> cost effictive to stay away from NT. Unless, of course, all of your techs
> can only handle NT. But, if thats the case you're screwed anyways.
You don't need to convince me... you just have to convince our customers.
I presume that other people's customers are the same. They want something
that runs on a machine that they know, that they can deal with in a
way that they know (ie shutdown, start it up again ;)

> you are thinking of letting the cache double as a users workstation (as is
> ALL togeather too common with NT servers), then you are a loopy fruit and
> need some time in the looney bin.
(you have no idea how appropriate that is :)

Ok - consider this:
A smallish cache can get a reasonable hit rate for customers with
a similar 'site-profile' (they like the same sites, all go and read the same
online newspapers every day, etc). It doesn't need much disk space - say 1
gig, and squid isn't very cpu intensive. I think that for a case like this,
a cache running on a NT machine with a good CPU should be fine. I am
(obviously) not going to run our caches (with hits in the hundreds of thousands
per day) on NT... that would be silly. There are, however, places where NT
would be useful, simply because it means that they don't have to buy a machine
(which is going to sit 99.9% idle) so that they can run a unix variant. Almost
everyone has NT these days, and if they don't, they have 95. I think that
either of these would handle a small cache (read a thousand or 2 hits a day).

I wouldn't do this without a 'remote-config-system' though, since otherwise
life would become very difficult.

Anyone know what the 'open-filehandle-limit' is on NT/95?

compile and run this:

#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/time.h> /* needed on FreeBSD */
#include <sys/param.h>
#include <sys/resource.h>
main() {
        int i,j;

        while((j=open("/dev/null", 0)) > 0) {printf(".");i=j;}
        close(i); close(i-1);
        i++;
        printf("\n%d\n",i);
        exit(0);