Re: Windows, yeeuch

From: Frank Smith <fsmith@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 10:28:14 -0500 (CDT)

Ok - consider this:
   For smaller site, the UNIX variant could be a no-cost solution. My
squid is running on an old 486DX2-66 that was unwanted in the company.
I installed Linux and squid (with a 400mb cache) and get about a 25-30%
hit rate on 50k requests/day and a load average of around 0.2 or so during
working hours.
   Even if no one on site knows UNIX, you could probably have a
consultant set it up for a lot less than the cost of an NT license, even
if you don't factor in the hardware cost savings (this machine is way below
the recommended hardware requirements for NT).

frank

--
Frank Smith  --  Network Administrator        E-mail: fsmith@spec.com
Systems & Processes Engineering Corp. (SPEC)  Voice:(512) 306-1100 x2154