Re: Cache traffic - odd?

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 15:31:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> This is documented on the Web page <http://cache.cnrs.fr/MRTG/delay.html>
> itself and on <http://cache.cnrs.fr/MRTG/config.html>.

Thanks much!

> Well, "someone" doesn't seem to be very fluent at explaining things :-)

I used to have more info, but occasionally people develop memory leaks too
:-)

> It can be many things, including a bug in the SNMP daemon (there is one
> such bug in CMU-snmpd for Linux). But I still do not see how it could be
> connected with "how Ethernet handles packets on the MAC layer".

Hmm. Wouldn't you know it -- I run CMU snmpd! Looks like I need to dig up
a different daemon. Perhaps it's not the Ethernet interface at all
(personally I don't know why MAC-layer packet handling would affect IP
traffic numbers either, since I doubt packet fragmentation would amount to
much).

        -Bill