Re: My firewall config needs "splitting" ...

From: Andreas Lamprecht <>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 08:02:01 +0200 (MET DST)

> Hi,
> We have a firewall, with systems on both sides. If I tell squid that my
> internal domain is, how do I get to my systems outside the
> firewall
> e.g. squid attempts to do direct connects, and fails.

You have to define a inside_firewall rule with "!" in front of your outside servers:

If internal domain is and server is behind the firewall:

  inside_firewall !

So squid should go directly to and go to parent for

This doesn't work for things squid wants to do always directly (look into source code icp.c,
function icpHierarchical) and ssl requests.

To get these to work, you have to patch squid a bit. If you are interested, i can send you patches
for squid-1.1.16.

Hope this helps ...

Greetings from Austria.